Thursday, April 04, 2013

I have begun to read Sheryl Sandberg's book "Lean In," and my initial impression is: "this is the book I've been waiting for."

 


I've only read the intro, "Internalizing the Revolution," and Chapter One, and I'm hoping to give a chapter by chapter review because I have a feeling, based on other reviews I've read and heard, that my appreciation may change as I move through the book.

First, a quote from the intro: (page 5) "The blunt truth is that men still run the world.... While women continue to outpace men in educational achievement, we have ceased making real progress at the top of any industry. This means that when it comes to making the decisions that most affect our world, women's voices aren't heard equally."




Here's what I'm thinking about after reading the introduction to Sandberg's book. It makes sense. How many times do women put their husband's needs above their own, trying to be sure that he's fulfilled -- willing to sacrifice a job that we enjoy to ensure our husband and families have what they want. In the past, no one questioned whether the woman would go where her husband led. If his company moved and offered him a chance to come along, the family went. So why should it be different for women? Now that women have a strong foothold in the job market, why would I set aside my own career goals and a profession that fulfills me in favor of my husband's job? Of course, each couple is different, each family is different, and our priorities are different. But the fact is that a discussion should take place when these choices come up, and the wife's career possibilities should not take a back seat to the husband's unless there is a good reason for it to do so. 

So yes, I agree with Sandberg. Women should "lean in" and enjoy the fruits of their labors and know that we have earned it, and not automatically take a back seat to the desires of our partners. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Sandberg's book. I'm hoping for guidance on how to embrace women's new roles, be successful at my career, and maybe not be a "dinner on the table" every night stay-at-home mom. Since I embarked on my career with the State Department, I have had this internal struggle, wanting to be both the perfect mom and a great Foreign Service Officer. I'd love it if this book would give me some ideas on how to reconcile the two pieces of who I am.

Stayed tuned for more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home