Sunday, April 27, 2014

Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time by Brigid Schulte




I was hoping to use this book as a follow-up to the effective discussion series we did on "Lean In" with U.S. Embassies in Africa.  However, as I read more of this well-researched and thought-provoking book, I realized that what it's focused on - getting rid of over-committed,  energy-sapping schedules that leave everyone running - might not be the most relevant of themes for the ladies that we hope to continue working with, who are still simply figuring out how to fit working life into the traditions of their African cultures.

Despite this, I did get a lot out of the book.  For one, it validates my personal decision to always make time for myself and for my partner, despite the needs of children and work.  Schulte's book states unequivocally that women need to make time for rest, for enjoyment, and for me-time, or else we can't do the rest of what we need to do well.


Photo Credit:  Elinor Carucci/Institute (in Elle online)

In addition, she tackles the idea of the perfect worker and the perfect parent that have stood for so long.  Basically, my take away is that there is not really such a thing.  We could always do more and better.  But constantly striving for that level of perfection takes us away from the now, and can have a negative affect on the quality of what we're trying to do in the first place.


I definitely recommend the book, particularly for working mothers who need to see that they are not alone, and that there are people on their side.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home