Saturday, November 09, 2013

Thunderstruck Doesn't Live up to its Name


Erik Larson's book, "Thunderstruck," was loaned to me by a friend, otherwise I would probably never have picked it up.  I read and enjoyed "In the Garden of the Beasts," but even in that book, his style of constantly leaving you hanging wore thin.

This is really two books, one about Marconi and the development of wireless technology, and the other about a murder.  I quite enjoyed all the murder mystery bits, but just wanted Marconi to stop being full of himself.  In fact, I kind of wished Marconi and all his competitors met their untimely deaths by lightning strike or something in the first chapters so we could just get on with the interesting stuff.

Larson keeps bringing up some tidbit, mentioning that you'll hear about it later, and the abruptly changing the subject.  I really hate that, and never more than in the last lone of the book: "Ethel's answer came quickly."  But are you, the reader, ever to know what Ethel's answer is?  No, you are not.

If you've never read anything by Erik Larson, do me a favor, don't read this one.  Start with "In the Garden of the Beasts," and if you love his style there, maybe you can try this one.  Otherwise, stick with your favorite topics and authors.  This one is only half a good book.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home