Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Great Gatsby." More DiCaprio, please...

Last night I watched "The Great Gatsby" in 3D.  I had never read the book, so my only preconceived notion was that, since Baz Luhrmann directed both films, it might be like "Moulin Rouge," which I detested.



I was pleasantly surprised.  The film had all the great elements of "Moulin Rouge" without being as over the top.  The costumes were amazing, the set decoration and locations fantastic, and the acting well controlled.

Leonardo DiCaprio has finally, truly grown up.  He is beautiful in this movie.  I don't want to give anything away for those like myself who haven't read the book, but I can say that I found DiCaprio and his character a study in contrasts, and by far the most wonderful thing to watch in this film.



The film has a complexity, a seedy underbelly that sometimes comes right out and slaps you in the face, and other times leaves you with jaws agape.

I wondered from the beginning whether I was being dragged into a fantasy, or whether the story is based in truths that we prefer not to acknowledge.

Whether you watch it for DiCaprio, for Fitzgerald, for the sets, the costumes, or the lavish beauty, definitely watch it.  


Tobey Maguire is the weak link, though I'm still not sure whether it's his acting or the character he was asked to play. That's the one thing I would have asked if the movie, though the story probably wouldn't allow it.  Less Maguire, more DiCaprio.

Enjoy, Old Sport.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home