Wednesday, January 15, 2014

OK, so I've been reading the Game of Thrones series for the past million years, and for the moment, I'm finished (another book is due out soon).  Here's my take on the series and the most recent book, A Dance with Dragons.

George R. R. Martin is no Tolkien.  It's obvious that he wrote these books with a screen in mind, whether it is a small screen or a large screen.  I don't think that that excuses the fact that his writing is only mediocre.  However, as is the case with other mediocre books that I have enjoyed (Twilight leaps to mind), Martin's prose is addictive.

I think that I mentioned earlier on this site that if you really like the Middle Ages and stories related to King Arthur or similar, you're much better reading Bernard Cromwell's "The Winter King" and it's sequels.  You might also like "Mists of Avalon." Or for those who prefer romance, Mary Stewart's Arthurian saga starting with "The Crystal Cave." Martin's books are not in their realm (pardon the pun).

Final criticism -- any book which requires chapters at the end listing the families and how everyone is relating to everyone else is a book that is not holding up its end of the bargain.  I simply cannot keep track of all the disparate stories -- not to mention that he gives all of his characters multiple names, and we are expected to keep track of them.  This works fine on screen, where the face helps us to identify the character, but I don't like working this hard when I'm reading a book for pleasure.  And what is "Game of Thrones" if not something I'm reading for pleasure?

The books are good, but after having watched the first season of the TV show, I can pretty happily say that I think I would have gotten just as much enjoyment from just watching, rather than trying to read as well.

The characters are fascinating, the plot lines are intriguing, and the supernatural / magic / fantasy threads appeal to readers and TV viewers like me.  However, (sorry, one more complaint), the scope is too wide-reaching.

Bottom line, read it if you like, but I suggest reading something else you'll like more, and watching this one on your favorite service, or by buying the DVD.

And be careful, because Winter IS coming...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home