Thursday, May 01, 2014

There is a Country: New Fiction from the New Nation of South Sudan

This collection of short stories, edited by contributor Nyuol Lueth Tong, was one of the few resources I could find on South Sudan.  Though I really don't enjoy short stories, I liked the idea of getting to learn something about the culture of the world's newest country.

I think that there are some talented authors in this collection, but most of the stories are cut off without an adequate resolution.  I don't need a happy ending, but I would like an ending. 

My preference was for the stories based on personal experiences.  It's hard to imagine the challenges of life during constant conflict and in situations of great poverty, but these snapshots give us a brief idea.

It's an easy, inexpensive read.  I recommend it for anyone looking to learn more about South Sudan 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home